Case Study: PR on a Tight Budget!
With local and town councils under considerable pressure to make spending cuts, there is very little budget available for marketing and PR. Here is what happened when we were given a very small budget of just £1,000.
A Head for PR was approached by Sherborne Tourism Forum in 2014 to see whether we could help position Sherborne in Dorset as the West Country’s film hot-spot.
In a campaign that would span one year, Sherborne Town Council set the objectives as raising awareness of Sherborne as a tourism destination nationally, regionally and locally using its popularity as a filming location for three block-buster films released over the previous 12 months
This is how we went about our campaign:
- Prepared press releases and distributed to local, national and international media on each individual film and the generic logic as to why Sherborne is popular with film-makers;
- Sourced relevant photography to accompany the releases;
- Worked with key tourism providers and locations in and around the Town
- Planned schedule of media activity during the release of these films;
- Used social media plan to support the release of these films
- Pitched to national media, prepared media itineraries and hosted press visits for two national journalists
- Worked with National Trust, Fox Searchlight Production Company, to maximise opportunities
Outcomes: Coverage in Daily Express (Top 10 Things to do in Sherborne), double page spread in Woman magazine, Woman’s Own, Sunday Independent, Dorset magazine, Dorset Life, Western Gazette, Wales Online, West Country magazine. We also engaged with social media and reposted online coverage wherever possible.
Roger Johnson who was Chair of Sherborne Tourism Forum at the time commented, “It's all about finding the right story angle and A Head for PR has used imagination and creativity to generate interesting aspects of Sherborne that tie in with wider themes of regional and national significance.
“In this brief, different stories were generated tying in with each of three films shot in Sherborne, timed to coincide with the films’ openings. Working with a fairly small budget, A Head for PR has sought out the most useful connections and partners to make the budget work harder. We plan to build on the solid work that has already been achieved and nurture the contacts being developed by A Head for PR.”